The Human body has over six hundred muscles. The muscles are very important because they control body movements, they pump blood to various parts of the body, they help in lifting heavy equipment among other roles of the body muscles. Heavy lifting is used when doing the Bar Brothers workout program which is great for muscle improvement Muscles are made of an elastic material that relaxes and contracts to bring movements. Smooth muscles also known as the involuntary muscles are controlled by the autonomic nervous system. This means you don’t control their activities.
Types of smooth muscles
There are two types of involuntary muscle; the skeletal muscles and cardiac muscles.
Skeletal muscles are the involuntary muscles that attach to the bones. Due to their appearance, skeletal muscles are also known as striated muscle. The main function of striated muscle is contraction to aid in the movement of the skeletons. They can contract or stretch and return to their original shape. Skeletal muscles differ depending on the fiber and thus contract at a different speed.
Cardiac muscles are found in the heart walls. They resemble skeletal muscles because their contraction is controlled by the autonomic nervous system. However, cardiac muscles are highly specialized because they are highly resistant to fatigue due to high number of myoglobin, mitochondrion and have a good blood supply.
Disorders of involuntary muscles
There are several diseases and disorders of involuntary muscles. The common disorders include;
- Myasthenia- this a common disorder characterized by weakness of the skeletal muscle. Diabetes and accumulation of toxins in the body are the major cause of myasthenia. Clinical studies show that myasthenia is a hereditary disorder that affects certain families.
- Motors neuron Disorder- this disorder affects the nerve cells that supply muscles with oxygenated blood. The most common motor neuron disease is ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.
- Inflammatory myopathies – it is characterized by progressive weakening and inflammation of the skeletal muscles. Smoking and alcohol are among the major causes of inflammatory myopathies. Sufferers are advices to quit smoking and reduce alcohol.
- Dermatomyositis- this is another disorder of the involuntary muscle manifested by skin rash, progressive weakness of the body.
Symptoms of involuntary muscle disorders
The most common symptoms of involuntary muscle disease and disorder are;
- Abnormal fatigue, muscle spasms, twitching or cramping
- The disorders that affect mouth and eyes can cause double vision or drooping eyes, difficulty breathing, slurred speech and difficulty swallowing.
- Unfortunately, there is no any single doctor who can treat all involuntary muscle diseases and disorders. The disorders are treated by orthopedics, rheumatologists, and neurologists.